When in Melbourne...

The Grind

Five days a week, I take a train into the city (5 minutes). I managed to find a job as a concierge/bellboy/valet/server/receptionist at the Rendezvous Hotel, across from the main train station. I wear a smart little uniform with a tie. I look hot. It keeps me busy and I get discounted tours and such. The most exciting part is driving. It may only be to the car park around the corner, but I get to dodge trams, buses, pedestrians, cars, trucks, and carriages. All whilst driving on the wrong (left) side of the road.

Now, having been a student and while living in cities with good transportation alternatives, I have spent very little time in cars since I moved away from Calgary. I haven’t driven regularly since last century. I can remember when my family bought a “new” Dodge Caravan. It was maroon. It was among the most technologically advanced vehicles at the time: ABS, automatic windows and a little digital display for the time, date, and (most exciting of all) the outside air temperature. It was pretty freakin’ cool. I now drive mostly rental cars. Most of them, in addition to sporting a CD player, MP3 player, and air con, also have an LCD screen displaying the internal conditions of the engine and all the environmental settings of the car. Most are touch-screens. You can change the temperature, check the fuel, or program your route on a mapping program. Many even have GPS! These things are more sophisticated than Air Canada’s jets. I screamed as I got into an Audi the other day and the big screen beside the wheel flickered to life displaying some crummy Australian game show on channel 10. It was TV! Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t we supposed to be driving while watching the road? Maybe things have really changed in the past few years and these things can actually drive themselves. I suspect not, as I still have a job.

As the Sun Sets in the West

Summer’s sadly coming to an end in Melbourne. Still, today is sunny and 25 degrees. I was at the beach on the weekend. Still have a healthy glow. In another month, my time at the present job will be over (my visa only allows 3 months with one employer) and it will again be time for Thomas to migrate. Plans involve the purchase of a vehicle (likely one without GPS and DVD player) and a group migration out West. The coast north of Perth is said to be stunning and remote with unending beaches and sparsely populated settlements. I’m hoping to hook up with some employment on a dive boat or with some interesting ecotour operations. Surely, there are tourists needing to be educated about something marine related. And who couldn’t do with a little bit of good old fashioned Canadian sarcastic wit? If all else fails, I could always pick grapes and drink wine…